Workshop 31 – Stan Tatkin, PsyD, MFT – Informal Trance Induction in Couple Therapy: Partners in Chairs
This first of two workshops will demonstrate the use of informal trance in couple therapy. PACT therapists use rolling chairs (office chairs) as a major therapeutic tool for both the couple and therapist in managing arousal, attention, and for inducing trance states. Attendees will learn the basic tenants of PACT and a common approach to inducing informal trance states in partners using rolling chairs. Partners go into a deeper state whereby the therapist can probe, prod, and investigate more implicit issues that plague the relationship. Attendees will view clinical video demonstrations as well as live demonstrations to further illustrate this technique.
- Describe the three theoretical domains of PACT.
- Apply interventions using cross-questions, cross-interpretations, going down the middle, and bending metal.
- Use at least two ways of getting the couple into a trance state using chairs and cross questions.
- Assess partner capacity for contact maintenance.
- Analyze partner response by reading the face, eyes, voice, heart rate, and body movements.