SC01 – Brief Approaches for Trauma Healing: Navigating Chaos, Complexity and Resiliency
This short course will address the rapid treatment of trauma by utilizing Somatic Experiencing, Ericksonian Hypnosis and Mindfulness practices for accessing the unconscious and activating inner resources with SE, mindfulness, and trance. These three unique orientations emphasize a unified mind-body healing approach that appreciates utilization as an orientation that understands the importance of the symptom as a pathway to inner healing. We will review the clinical tracking skills for: orientation, resourcing states, titration, pendulation, containment and the witnessing awareness as well as learning to pace and settle the patient’s nervous system. A step by step model will be taught how to navigate the complexity and chaos of energy wells through containment and resourcing. Participants will learn tools for tracking coherency and creating comfort, safety and resiliency within the body and nervous systems. Neuroscience and Polyvagal theory clinical adaptions for how to work with an activated nervous system and shuttling towards trauma deactivation and integration and settling of experience will be demonstrated.
The course will highlight both Milton Erickson’s use of metaphor and rapid trance induction as well as the work of Peter Levine models of Trauma and Healing Vortex states of experiences, including mindfulness practice for framing, re-framing and de-framing the immediate reorganization of transforming somatic-affective experience into new healing rhythms in the body. These methods allow the body to open healthier pathways for rapid new somatic recoveries. We will also emphasize the use of naturalistic hypnotic trance, guided mindfulness practice, and somatic breath tools for generating new therapeutic skills in fostering trauma healing, coherency and Resiliency.
- Apply rapid and brief resource state skills in the treatment of trauma, pain, and somatic disorders.
- Utilize Ericksonian trance work and mindfulness meditation to promote utilization to shift trauma and promote mind-body healing.
- Observe demonstrations in rapid trance inductions highlighting Erickson’s use of metaphor to promote immediate shifts in trauma healing.
- Practice Somatic Experiencing exercises to access one’s core resources, teach grounding and orientation skills for containment and promoting coherency in the mind-body state.
- Demonstrate Ericksonian, mindfulness and somatic experiencing methods for tracking the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems for containment, pendulation, release of trauma and the promotion of coherency.